Friday, July 20 and Saturday, July 21 London

Before leaving London for Edinburgh, we had two free days in London to work on research and sight-see. Because of the unfortunate news that I received on Monday, July 16, (no job) I spent a great deal of time on the phone or online looking for library openings and filling out online job applications. I did manage to spend some time working in the computer lab looking for other sources of information on Susan Cooper. Mary and I also returned to the British Library to do a little more research for our papers. I found that the British Library owns several of Cooper's works, and that many of them are stored on-site. I discovered a copy of Susan Cooper's adult sci-fi novel, Mandrake, and got to read a little bit of it, including some biographical information on the flyleaf. I also got to look at Behind the Golden Curtain: A View of the U.S.A. in which Cooper portrays Americans in a less than flattering light. Our visit to the library was all too short, but we did get to read some of the items that we had hoped to see before heading back to Stamford Street.

No comments: